Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Exchange

The exchange date has been set for June 22. On that date, the surgeon will remove the tissue expanders from my breasts and put in nice, soft implants. He will go through the same incisions from the first surgery and I don’t anticipate much pain. It is an out-patient procedure and I am expected to go home the same afternoon. I am sooooo ready… but it is still 7 weeks away.

Afer writing my last cranky post, I decided that part of the reason I was so uncomfortable is that I had over-expanded my breasts. The surgeon had been reluctant to add the last expansion injection, but I pressed him. Turns out he was right; I went too far. I could feel my breasts under my arms and I was beginning to have compromised chest strength. I went back to the surgeon and had him withdraw some saline and I immediately felt better. I am much more comfortable now. I even raced a sailboat this past weekend and my chest didn’t hinder or bother me.

Isn’t it funny that I can add or subtract saline until I find the size that’s right for me? Wouldn’t it be fun if I could change them on a daily basis based on my mood? Double D for a trip to the beach or maybe a small A cup for a dainty camisole… it’s an amusing idea to ponder.

6 comments:

Sue said...

You have come through so many changes with so much courage and equanimity. It is truly amazing. I hope that this last step in your transition goes smoothly and that you are happy with the end result. I know that it will not be your old body, and I do know how it is to miss what was. That just takes time. Eventually, we accommodate the new body, but it does take as long as it takes.

All the best,
swan

Anonymous said...

Like I said earlier...DD on Friday night and a nice B cup for Monday morning. Hmmm...I see potential here. We are glad to hear that the light at the end is beginning to appear! Dave and Terri

Anonymous said...

So glad that you are nearing the end of this leg in your life journey. Glad that you figured out the problem, and that it could be resolved. It will take time to get used to the new AND IMPROVED (no cancer) you, but be thankful, and I know you are, that you have been given a new chance at life. I can't imagine what it has all been like for you. I pray that you will use this experience to reach out and comfort others. You have already done that through the honest and frank entries in your blog, but there may be more for you to do, in this time and place, Little Rock, 2009. Anyway, be open to any- and eveything God puts in your path.

Blessings, Cathy

Louise said...

Two more weeks now... thinking of you!

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you,
GW&LK

Unknown said...

I gave you an award - check here for details! & thanks for a great blog!

http://chaoticcompendiums.blogspot.com/2009/06/first-blog-award-lemonade-award.html