Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Cancerversary

Yesterday was my "Cancerversary." One year ago the doctor called to say the biopsy from my breast was positive for invasive ductal carcinoma. Upon hearing the news my husband said, “I’m sorry.” I replied, “Don’t say you’re sorry. Just say we’ll fix it.” In my head I was thinking a small surgery to remove the tumor… maybe a little radiation therapy. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine 6 rounds of chemo and a double mastectomy were in my future.

Wow - I can’t believe it's been a whole year! Thank you to everyone who has supported me and my family during this time. Your help and your words of encouragement mean more than you will ever know.

It has been a long journey and it isn’t over yet. I’ve learned a lot of things and accomplished many milestones. When I think back over the last year, there were some pretty bad days. I find that I am much stronger in many ways, more vulnerable in others.

It is difficult to process the journey of cancer and what it means for my life. Who am I now that I have survived cancer? What am I here for? What brings me joy? What is most important in my life? I've been granted this time; what do I use it for?

Those answers will come; I know they will. For now - I'm just glad to be here.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy Cancerversary! Very big milestone. You are not to far behind me. We still have lots to do, things we were ment to do. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Sherri Jo, this date is a huge milestone. Besides your character and courage, I celebrate your pluck and humor, the orange scarf and long baths, receding neuropathy and blooming new boobs! Even when I don't write, I check in every day to see what's happening and send you silent thoughts of strength and audacity! You go girl! Jean

Anonymous said...

Hey Sherri Jo!

I was really thinking about you the other day...your cancerversary, but I could have sworn that it was in February. Anyway, hope all is well with you and the guys (Guise..haha).

Love, Cathy

Unknown said...

Hi Sherri Jo,

I just want to let you know how much I look to you for strength and knowledge. I am glad to have met you and I'm so grateful for the security your wisdom provides.

You are a source of inspiration. Keep on your healing path and stay strong.

Here's to spring and good health.

Jackie

Liz Harrell said...

Congratulations Sherri Jo! I stumbled onto your blog this afternoon while 'surfing.' I'm co-chairing a blog this year for Race for the Cure and would love to include you in our upcoming survivor interviews! Please email me at mabelsblog(at)yahoo(dot)com if you're interested!

And again, congrats!
Hugs,
Liz

mjr said...

Congrats, Sherri Jo. I remember our time in Baton Rouge, somehow knowing what was coming, but hoping against hope I was wrong. Your honesty through this year has been a little heart wrenching at times, but has helped me realize that now, more than ever, we can't back away from life's challenges. They are many and often joltingly unexpected. I feel an enormous sense of pride just because I know you --and somehow knew that you would make lemonade out of these lemons.