Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Here They Come Into The Stretch!

I love the horse races! And on President’s Day, I had good reason. I went to the races with my husband and some friends and walked away a pretty big winner. I bet on every race, ate and drank all day, and still walked away with $75 MORE in my pocket than when I began. Not bad, eh? I even hit a trifecta bet – that’s where you pick the first, second and third place horses all in the correct order! All in all, I cashed in 7 winning tickets! That’s what you call a phenomenal day at the track! We also got to see Old Fashioned (see photo) win the Southwest Stakes. That means he is now the leading favorite to win the Kentucky Derby – and who knows, maybe even the Triple Crown.

I wish I could say I won because of my genius ability to read the race form and calculate all the odds. I do know how to read the form and interpret some of the data – but let’s be honest – there’s an awful lot of luck involved! One time I bet and won money on a horse simply because I liked her name – Tricky Jo.

It occurs to me that treatment for cancer is a little like the horse races. You do the research, you weigh all the factors, you consider the odds, and then you choose the treatments that are best for you. I think I have done well in that department. I looked at all the options and made the wisest choices in my cancer treatment. I think I have done everything possible to eradicate the disease. But in the end, it still requires a little bit of luck. Did we get every cancer cell that was floating around my body? I sure hope luck is with me.

My mastectomy recovery is still going well, albeit a bit tiresome. Indeed, the first expansion rounded things out a bit and the second expansion is set for later this week. I have to say, these lumps on the front of my chest may look like boobs but they do not feel like boobs nor do they feel like a part of my body. It feels as if someone strapped two tin cans to the front of my chest with tight elastic straps and some days I am simply ready to take them off. Everyone swears the permanent implants will feel much softer and I sure hope they are right. I guess I need to adjust and set my own heart straight. These lumps will be with me until the end of May or the beginning of June. I still have a ways to go.

One of the best parts of the horse races is when you hear the announcer say, “And here they come into the stretch!” It means the horses are nearing the finish line. The tension builds and everyone jumps to their feet with excitement. Can the leader hang on? Who’s that coming up on the outside? People screaming, “Go horse! Go!” And then in a blink… it’s over.

I can’t wait for the day when I can say, “And here she comes into the final stretch of her cancer treatment.” It won’t be too much longer, but there are a few more months and a few more surgeries to go. And then in a blink – it will all be over.

Isn't it funny how I can turn even a fun day at the races into a cancer analogy? Ah well... this too shall one day pass:)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sherri Jo!!

It sounds like you had fun at the races...I always bet on the name I like the best...and I always win!! Even though I haven't written in a while, I am always thinking about and praying for you. I actually tried to post a comment several posts ago, but it didn't work. I do think you are nearing the home stretch, and I pray that you will accept your new boobs for what they are...new parts of you...and cancer-free boobs at that! You have been awesome throughout this whole situation!! On a side note...Hunter had a YoungLife event that had a cowboy theme. He couldn't wear the orange cowboy hat (from RFTC), because it is Hall's colors (he goes to Parkview). But I can tell he really wants to wear that hat!! Love you, and I am so happy that you are nearing the end of the tunnell! Cathy

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherri Jo,
Glad you won at the races. I lose every time and beat myself up thinking, "I could have had a massage and a really nice dinner". Your writing is so fluid and your analogies unexpected.:) Maybe after all of this is over, you should write a book. Really.

You said that your second surgery was going to be later this week, so I thought I would make one more movie recommendation and redeem myself a LITTLE bit... You've probably seen it, but High Fidelity is a good combination of funny and meaningful with a great soundtrack -- just in case you are recovering some more. I'm not familiar with post-surgery recommendations, or even what kind of surgeries you are having (except for the final result). I do have a few friends who have had breat augmentations and complained about the tightness at first, but after 6 months are wearing them loud and proud... I'll send you a tube top!

So glad you got to spend the day
relaxing with friends. I'm sure that was filling. I'll be praying for the final months of this whole nightmare to bring much more joy than pain.

Take care,
Cara Payne
(Ben's cousin, never sure if you remember:)--wouldn't really expect you to with a non-family name!)

Unknown said...

That is a very good analogy! I kind of feel the same way about my reconstruction. It does not feel the same as it used to. I am hoping one day to wake up and not remember that they are not really my own boobs :)
Good luck with your next fill.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo Jo, glad I popped by I've enjoyed the read! I certainly hope the luck you had with the horses that day holds true for the luck you have with your cancer treatment. Great analogy by the way, I always think there are so many choices when it comes to cancer treatment but haven't ever heard it likened to backing a horse, it translates well. Take care and thanks for the comment on my post on MWC site.

Louise said...

Hi Jo Jo, I saw your blog mentioned by Swan and I am surprised, not in the way you probably meant in your comment I guess, but by the fact that we are the same age and dealing with the same kind of cancer. Thank you so much for sharing and wishing you all the best, Louise

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherri Jo,
You're my coffee break this morning! Hadn't taken time to respond to this latest blog, so thought I'd send a few wishes your way.

I thoroughly enjoyed your horse racing analogy to your cancer experience. And with the onset of March, I'd like to offer a Spring analogy to you. The old "In like a lion, out like a lamb" may offer a comforting, soothing visual image. Your March has lasted a whole year, but your March 31 is in sight, although it'll be May or June by then. That lion came into your life unexpectedly, attacked furosiously, chewed at your body, and left you weak and recovering for months. That lamb will be a welcome relief and a chance to hold onto something warm, cuddly, snuggly, and reassuring. Another lamb, the Lamb of God, has been with you, watching over your treatments and returning health, while wisely waiting to step in when He could safely offer his comfort.

Blessings,
Judi