Friday, December 11, 2009

Waiting for the Other Shoe...

Well, the ovary removal was pretty smooth.  I have to tell you, laproscopic surgery is WAY easier than having your abdomen cut open.  I hardly had any pain from the incisions.  There were four tiny cuts on my stomach - one inside my belly button, two on either side of the belly button, and one along my previous c-section scar.  Not a problem at all.

As always, I had great difficulty waking up from the surgey.  I was really cranky this time and the recovery nurse was really irritating me.  Apparently my pulse-ox was low so they insisted I wear an oxygen mask - which was making my nose itch like crazy!  There was a pulse-ox monitor on my right pointer finger and every time I tried to scratch my nose I knocked it off.  Apparently I was falling back asleep with my finger still ON my nose which also meant I was knocking off the oxygen mask.  All of these actions really upset the nurse.  After fighting with me for awhile, she finally put the pulse-ox monitor on my toe and replaced the mask with a nasal tube.  I was finally free to scratch my nose at will!  Why didn't we do that sooner?

There was also a blood pressure cuff on my right arm, an IV in my hand, and those blow-up leg cuffs on my calves that are supposed to prevent blood clots.   I felt tied down and annoyed by all of the equipment and yet they were trying to wake me up to go home.  In my mind, I'm thinking, "If I still need oxygen and need to be monitored, why are you trying to wake me up and get me out of bed?"

Also, every time I sat up I got dizzy and then nauseous.  I wound up having the dry heaves which is a horrible and strange feeling.  I was puking - but nothing was coming out!  (Ugh.  Shuddering just to think about it.)  I finally cleared my head barely enough to put on some clothes and go home.  I had expected to spend the night in the hospital, so even though I felt rushed it was nice to go home.  When you can't remember the car ride home, do you think it means you should have slept a little longer?

As I said before, I had no pain from the incisions, but right before we left, I told the doctor I was having some pain in my shoulder.  It felt like I had a big air bubble in my chest.  He said not to worry that it was probably just a sore shoulder from lying on the operating table in one position for such a long time.  I knew that wasn't right but I was too doped up to pursue it further.  In the following days, the pain spread to both shoulders and became pretty intense - it was a stabbing pain.  I was afraid I was having a heart attack or something!

I vaguely remembered something about shoulder pain and laproscopic surgery so I Googled it in the middle of the night.  Sure enough, it is a prevelant side effect that no one bothered to mention to me.  You see, they pump up your abdomen with gas in order to create a better visual field for the cameras.  Turns out, the gas is cold and dry and irritates your diaphragm.  And there are nerves that run from your diaphragm into your shoulder - so it is a referential pain.  For some people, the shoulder pain is worse than the incisions and that was certainly true for me!  I couldn't take a deep breath because the pain was too intense.  It left me feeling short of breath and a little scared.  I wish someone had warned me.  Fortunately it only lasted 2 days

Everything else has healed just fine.  And here is the strangest part of all - NO HOT FLASHES!  It has been three weeks since the surgery and I'm not having any hot flashes!  How is this possible?  I experienced extreme hot flashes and night sweats during chemo, but a few months after the chemo stopped, they went away.  I assumed my ovaries had started back up and everything was functioning normally again.  I couldn't tell for sure since I don't have a utereus and therefore no periods.  But maybe I was wrong - maybe the ovaries were dead and I just had an easy run of the menopausal symptoms????

I was in such dread of those night sweats again.  Is it possible that I'm going to escape that torture?  I definitely felt weepy a few days, my sleep has been disturbed, and I know I am a irritable.  If I can escape the hot flashes and night sweats, I will be forever grateful.

The surgery was easy, and I feel mostly recovered.  But I'm sitting here anxiously  - waiting for the other shoe to drop.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hugz

Geezus

Anonymous said...

Well, the odyssey is finally over. You have been through it all, done it all, and survived it all. I know you will be having a GREAT Christmas! Merry, merry, & Happy, happy!! Much love, Cathy

Michele Corey said...

I'm wondering how you are feeling - as it's been a couple weeks. I read your post on my cell phone as I was coming back from my annual girlfriend Vancouver BC trip via train and cried.

You have been through so much and yet have the voice of courage, calm and trusting. Such a gift. I realize how different every breast cancer story is - and how amazing each women is. You are amazing.

I hope you are enjoying the holiday season. I know that we loved that this christmas season was uneventful for us - as the past 3 years have been filled with the hospital for Eli, my cancer diagnosis and Tim's mother's passing. It felt so good to have nothing to do but what we choose. I wish the same for you.

A big hug filled with love and support! Michele

Nancy said...

Hi,
I hope you're feeling better! Surgery is always such a pain in the arse! Road to recovery is ahead!