Sunday, June 15, 2008

Knowledge Is Power

I just want to say thank you to everyone for your phone calls and notes the last couple of days. Thank you for feeling my sorrow with me and for sending your words of encouragement. It all helps to lift my spirits. When I started this blog, I had no idea how much I would be wearing my heart on my sleeve for all to see.

The shock of the news has worn off and I am feeling steadier on my feet now. I am feeling less devastated and more fortunate to have the knowledge that I have. I have lots of time to explore options and make decisions. I had a goal in the back of my mind to close this blog on December 31st of this year; I would close the door on 2008 and on breast cancer at the same time. Something tells me I may have to extend that deadline... I will keep you all informed as I gather information and make decisions. Just know that this will be a long and slow process.

Well - I have survived my first full week without hair! I'm still fussing around with scarves and hats and haven't found the best combo yet. I have branched out from the orange scarf a bit, but it is still my favorite. I also found an old brown hat that belonged to my dad in the days when men wore hats. I think it's going to be one of my favorites as well. I wonder if I'll ever be brave enough to go completely bald in public??? Surprisingly enough, my hair is actually growing! How is that possible? It started falling out exactly two weeks after the first chemo. I'll bet the second round happens exactly two weeks after round two - which will be this Thursday. However, I think the stubble will be a little easier to lose than my long hair!

So... life goes on. Thanks again to everyone for their support.

315

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sherri Jo, I am so sorry to read about the gene. I appreciate you telling us all. This just sucks. I do like your point that knowledge is power. Thank god we have this test and now you have information that a couple years back you might not have had at all. God bless, stay strong, cry when you're not, and keep moving forward!
Love ya lots, Mimi

Anonymous said...

Sherri Jo,

You never know--you may still be done with this by the end of 2008. Don't give up or lose sight of the big picture (not the scary big picture)...the big picture where you have recovered and are enjoying your family and friends like you never have before!

Love, Cathy