Thursday, August 14, 2008

Pain Free

I am pain free today! Ahhhhh.... it feels so nice. I hope I am never a sufferer of chronic pain - I don't think I would make a very good patient. I hate to be such a complainer - but the bone pain I've been experiencing is awful. You can't get comfortable no matter how you sit. It's a random, roving pain that is sometimes throbbing and sometimes stabbing. It's mostly in my knees, hips and legs, but no bone is immune. I feel stiff and sore like a 90 year old lady with arthritis. The pain meds certainly take the edge off, but then I feel sleepy (and constipated!) I was so frustrated with the pain yesterday morning that I sat in the bath tub and cried! And today it's gone; it left as quickly as it came.

While I was in the midst of all the pain the thought of having one more infusion felt like an overwhelming task that I could not accomplish and left me depressed. So I started thinking about the celebration I would have after recovering from the last chemo. Now we're talking fun! Maybe a BBQ picnic with lots of food. Or maybe a more elegant affair at the house with fancy finger foods and a hired bartender. I may make you wear a funny hat, play silly games or learn a new dance. I have lots of different ideas... but basically I want to have a huge party and invite people from all walks of my life. I won't spell out the details now, but just know that it will happen and you are all invited when it does! It gave me pleasure to think of something fun - of an end goal - and it made the time pass a lot easier. I also found working on a crossword puzzle while waiting for a pain killer to kick in is good distraction!

I made a "practice run" to work today. I'm overwhelmed at all there is to do there. Anyone reading this who works with me - please be patient a little more. It's hard to get re-started. I've been out almost three solid weeks now. My friend Leslie suggested I start by making a list. Number one on the list should be "Make a list." Then after you add four or five more items, you can scratch off number one on your list! Immediate accomplishment! Think I'll try it!

Okay - better get to that list. People are waiting... Just wanted everyone to know the pain is gone and I am working on rebuilding my strength and stamina.

Just ONE MORE TO GO. I can do this!
445

2 comments:

mlwebster said...

Sherri Jo,

I'm so glad that you are doing well. I will wear a funny hat and celebrate with you. If you need help at work, let me know. School starts back on Monday, thank goodness!

Mary

Anonymous said...

SJ,
We are happy to hear that you are feeling better! One more and then this horrible episode can be delegated to the history books as another hurdle you got over! David and I think of you everyday! T:)