Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Bubbles!


Not all my cancer journey memories are bad ones. In fact, chemotherapy helped me to rediscover the pleasures of a bath. Now honestly - when is the last time you took a bubble bath? I took several luxurious soaks in a tub full of bubbles during my last recovery period. I had truly forgotten how fun it could be! I felt playful and childlike, then womanly and flirtatious. The bubbles felt so soft and silky against my skin. First, I built a bikini out of bubbles to cover all my “lovely bits” and then I added a glamorous, white mink stole that slid gracefully off my shoulders. My toenails, painted resilient red, were a beautiful contrast to the white sparkling foam as I pointed my leg up in the air like an old-fashioned movie star and watched the bubbles spiral down. Squeal! It’s fun to be a girl!

The bubbles were a gift from my colleagues at the National Alliance of Children Trust Funds. While the warm wishes came from everybody, the actually gift shopping was done by my friend, Martha Reeder. She is a good listener and took notice when I mentioned I liked to take long hot bathes when recovering from chemo. So thank you, Martha, for helping me to remember a simple pleasure I had forgotten.

3 comments:

wanderinglinda said...

Baths are where it is at! I recently started chemo and thought maybe the heat of the baths would make the pain worse or something so didn't take one after my first round. Then I tried one after my next round and it was heaven!

www.wanderlinda.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Sounds like we need to center the celebration party around a group bubble bath! Maybe we can dig up Grandma Mac's bath toys we used to play with on 12th Street.

Congrats on a much deservved indulging bath!

Susie McLemore Foley

mjr said...

I'm glad you are enjoying. The whole Alliance team read this post together during our meeting this week in Seattle. We all send our best and much love