Monday, September 29, 2008

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

THE GOOD – My taste buds are back! Everything tastes really good to me. So good, in fact, that I find myself overeating at every meal. In fact, I am ravenous! I guess my body is rebuilding and needs the extra fuel. Having whacked out taste buds is really bizarre. It feels like you are chewing food wrapped up in a piece of gauze. Sometimes you can get a hint of taste coming through, but mostly it feels like chewing on tasteless cotton. Other times, it doesn’t taste the way you anticipate or remember the food to be. You put a piece of chocolate in your mouth expecting creamy goodness and instead it is bitter and feels like glue on your tongue! Yes – having my taste buds back is a true joy!


THE BAD – the numbness in my hands and feet is still present. In fact, it may be getting worse. I can hardly button a shirt or put on my earrings. In addition, my nail beds are really sore. I know it’s weird to say I have fingers that are both numb AND sore at the same time, but that’s how it is. I’m thinking it will be a few more weeks before I have full sensation again. The cankles are mostly gone, but I still have some mild swelling in my feet and legs. They are worse at the end of the day, naturally.


THE UGLY – My tummy is way bigger than it used to be! Some of it may be water retention like the ankles, but in general I have gained about 7-8 pounds since I started chemo. It’s not very attractive when your stomach sticks out further than your boobs! Of course they are 45 year old boobs that are racing towards my navel, but still! If my stomach is still bigger than my boobs after the reconstruction – then we will really have a problem! Even my “fat” jeans are feeling snug. (And all the ladies know what I mean when I refer to the fat jeans.) I was considering the surgery where they use your stomach tissue to reconstruct your breasts, but the surgeon says there’s really not enough there for two breasts. (Did he really look at my stomach???) So I either need to start binging so I can grow another breast or I need to get that exercise program going pretty quickly!

5 comments:

Tabitha and Kelly said...

I have to say that the Ugly part made me giggle a little. Sounds just like something Libby or Carolyn would say. Guess you girls really are related!!
Glad things are on the up and up!

Tabitha

jojo said...

Tabtha - I'm afraid all us McLemore girls got our boobs and our tummy's from Grandma Mac!

Anonymous said...

I found you from C is not for cookie. I had a double mastecomy with reconstruction in February. I have finished my chemo and my hair is growing back yay! I also gained about 10 lbs during chemo. I losts most of it two to three weeks after I finished. It is from steroids they give you during chemo. I also wanted to eat more when I could taste things. Everything tasted like cardboard! My attitude twards food is totally different now. Life is too short to not eat the good stuff!(with in reason) I am off to read the rest of your blog!

Cailin said...

it sounds to me like good timing that you got your appetite back right when you need to "grow another breast" - go for it! :) seriously, it's great to hear that you're feeling better in so many ways. you are a resilient woman indeed.

jojo said...

Sprucehill - Thanks for stopping by. I enjoyed reading your blog also. We need to chat about this double mastectomy thing. Would love to hear any advice you have for recovery.

Cailin - Lots of women have offered their spare stomach tissue to me! Alas - it doesn't work that way:( I hope you are enjoying motherhood!