Friday, February 6, 2009

Blow Up Doll

I am now officially a blow up doll! I had my first expansion injection on Thursday. What a strange experience!

The doctor uses a magnet to find the metal port in the breast expander and marks its location on my skin with a a sharpie pen. Didn't you think it would be something more high tech than a magnet and a sharpie? Next he inserts a needle into the port and begins to inject saline into the expander. Since I don't have any feeling in my breasts, the needle doesn't hurt. The saline, however, feels quite strange. It's kinda hard to explain, really.... I guess you would call it tightness and pressure. Certainly not a feeling I've had before. He injected 50 cc into each breast.

I felt a little tender and sore later that afternoon, but nothing too severe. I did take a sleeping pill that night and it worked like a charm. I have been sleeping on the couch since my surgery because I am still uncomfortable lying down. I have developed a nest of pillows that allows me to sleep propped up. It seems like the couch would be an uncomfortable place to sleep, but it's not for me.

The doctor says I will probably have 3 more injections spaced out at every two weeks. Once we reach the size we want, we will sit for two months before the exchange surgery. Two months! I didn't realize it was quite so long. What a strange process this is!

I have been having these "memories" about a doll that grows boobs. You twist her arm over her head and her boobs pop out. Twist it back and the boobs go away. Did I make this up in my imagination or was it real? I tried a google search but didn't come up with anything. Did I dream this? Maybe I just have a vivid imagination! If anybody remembers such a thing, please let me know. I feel kinda like one of those dolls.

So.... one injection down and three more to go!

2 comments:

Sue said...

Congratulations on this next step. I am glad it went well and wasn't too difficult. May the rest of the process proceed likewise.

All the best,
swan

Anonymous said...

I felt the same way after my sugery and still to this day, even a year later I have to make my little nest of pillows. It still feels weird to sleep on my side!

It is very interesting reading about expanders. I did not have them. I just got my implants and was done. (I was not to big to begin with :)