Monday, January 26, 2009

Cancer Bloggers

I cannot begin to tell you how much this blog has meant to my recovery process. It has been such a great outlet for my anxiety and a wonderful way to keep in touch with family and friends. In fact, I have discovered a whole community of cancer bloggers on the net. Every time I have a new concern or face a new procedure, I search for the words of those who have walked before me. Their first-hand accounts are often more helpful (and more informative!) than any doctor’s explanation. Not to mention the fact that they are available 24/7 and I can access them in my own time from my own home. It is a virtual support group.

I have posted links in my sidebar to a few of the cancer blogs that I read regularly. If you have found your way here because you are facing cancer yourself, I encourage you to use the side bar as a starting point to connect with others. You’ll be glad you did.

Surgery Update:
My own recovery is still going well. The heat rash that is under both breasts and halfway down to my stomach is finally abating. The itching was driving me NUTS and I was worried that it was going to get into my incisions and therefore into my expanders. THAT would not be good! I have to say, my pain is still very prevalent. How do I describe it? Feels like they cut a hole in my chest wall, shoved a large rock inside, and then sewed it back up. Oh wait – that’s exactly what they did! The pain isn’t intense or unbearable in any way… it’s just every present. I feel okay, but I’m at that point right now where I’m tired of being sore and beginning to wonder if my body will ever feel well again. A little more time…. Just need a little more time.

I was planning to go to work for a few hours this week, but there is freezing rain outside tonight so I don’t think I’ll be going anywhere. Wish it would be a pretty snowfall, but it looks like it will be crippling ice. Keep your fingers crossed that we don’t lose power!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the picture. I can't say enough about how good it is to keep in touch through your Blog. I would have wanted to know how you were doing but I would have been afraid to pestering you so I would not have been able to keep up and keep praying especially at moments when your challanges were large or your spirits were low. Thank you for sharing. Love and Prayers, Susan LMSA

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherri Jo,

What a lovely photo! I'm glad the surgery is behind you and that things will get better and better now. A funny movie is Paris, Texas. It would be good for a couple of hours of laughter and diversion. If you are able to watch Young at Heart, a more recent one, it's a truely heartwarming movie - actually a documentary. I had hoped to get to Little Rock to see you but I think you know the story and we'll be meeting elsewhere. I'm still working on it. Take care and know you'll be in my thoughts and prayers. All the best, Teresa

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherri Jo,
It's Cara Payne - from Russellville. I just got caught up on your blog. It sounds like things are going as well as can be expected. I'm so glad to know that you are doing so well.

As for funny movies... it has funny parts and parts in which they tried to be funny, but failed, but on the whole, I thougt Tropic Thunder was really funny. Robert Downey, Jr. was amazing. I am now in love with him. My husband's okay with it, though. Also, I'm about to watch Mamma Mia. I'm really excited about it, bc of all of the raves I've heard. It's on pay-per-view, since you have digital cable. However, I have Suddenlink instead of Comcast, so the movies offered may not be the same.

Also, if you like Will Ferrell (you can see what kind of playing field we're on now), I thought Blades of Glory was funnier than I expected. Amy Poehler and her husband, Will Arniston? I think, are really funny in it. You may be desperate enough at this point to try it. But only if you like dumb movies in the first place, like I do.

Will keep reading to learn about your improving health and decreasing pain as I know they are on the way... Wondering if the plan is still for you to return to work 4 weeks from your surgery date, or if you are already back working.
Take care,
Cara
P.S. I read The Tale of Desperaux -funny book - to our boys last semester, and they really enjoyed it. Eli may be too old for that, but maybe he could read it to you. I think if I were recovering that would be a nice way to spend time with my boys. I'm sure you're up and around by now, if not working, but still... just thought I'd recommend the book. Doesn't require the energy to read that The Shack does.

Unknown said...

Hi Sherri Jo,

Yes, losing my hair is not a tragedy. Thank you for your comment on my blog. I agree, your picture is fabulous.

For me, blogging is also a release. I love writing it all down, and I especially love reading all the comments.

I'm afraid I don't have any funny movies to recommend, but if you like reading, I love the "Outlander" series by Diana Gabaldon. It's full of Scottish history and romance. A good friend lent me the entire series - sigh. Now, I've had to put the current book on the back burner to make time for this month's book club selection.

Lastly, I will comment on your feelings for your son while you are sick. I can entirely identify with your comments. The day before you posted "Eli" I had come home from shopping and my kids had been arguing. My husband could not get control of the situation (as if I could have done better!), but it made me fell so terrible. What if something happens to me? How will my family cope without me? What a panicky feeling. OK, quick - block that thought.

I've taken enough of your space. Thanks for blogging and thanks for reading. You are my first blogger friend. I'm glad to get to know you.

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Hang in there it will get better with time. I had a Tram Flap (Double Mastectomy, tummytuck & reconstruction) no implants for me, in June 2007. I'm doing great. Very satisfied with how my tata look.
Jennifer, Sunbury, NC

Anonymous said...

I was very itchy and rashy too after my surgery. I think it is the anethesia reacting to your body. Igot it with every one of my surgeries.