Friday, March 21, 2008

Finding the Path Again

I spent yesterday trying to decide what to do about the genetic testing. I called both my surgeon and my oncologist to ask for their opinions. I am very pleased to report that they both called me back within a few hours. They even conferred with each other!

They both agree that waiting on the gene test is too long to wait. My surgeon suggested we stick with the original plan for now. He feels like the second area in my breast identified by the MRI is nothing. He suggested I do the biopsy and get some real answers before I make up my mind about a mastectomy. In a very nice way, he told me to calm down. He feels I am at a very low risk of having the breast cancer gene but that getting the test is a good idea. We just don't need to wait on those results. He was very thorough in his questioning and responding to me.

As I said before, I was very pleased with my ability to reach both doctors with my questions. It is good to know that they will be available for me through out this process.

I have to say that I do feel more inclined to want a mastectomy now, but I will have the biopsy (ugh) and get some answers before I fully decide. I went ahead and had blood drawn for the breast cancer gene test, so that process has begun. I absolutely will not proceed with a double mastectomy without knowing the results of the gene test. The numbers simply do not support bilateral mastectomy otherwise. There is a .5% - 1% chance cancer will develop in the other breast if you do not have the gene mutation. Cutting off a breast for a 1% chance seems stupid to me. I am happy with a 99% chance for success.

If the gene test should come back positive... I guess I'd be looking at another surgery (or more - because I'd probably have my ovaries removed, too). For my sake, and for the sake of all the other women in my family, lets hope the gene test is negative.

We are leaving this afternoon to go skiing. I am going to try setting some of this angst aside and have some fun. I was so exhausted yesterday that I went to sleep at about 7:00 p.m. Woke up at 8 or so, had a sandwich, said hello to Ben and Eli and went back to bed at 9:00. I slept through the night! All of that to say that I haven't finished packing yet so I better get to it! I'll have a computer with me in Colorado but don't know if I'll get a chance to post this next week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Herri Do, (old family nickname)

Your courage, intelligence and intuition continue to amaze me. I am sure this is the winning combination for any fight. Any decision you make... WILL BE THE RIGHT ONE!!!! Of this I am certain.

love, Annie Oakley

Anonymous said...

SJ

I agree with AO - any decision you make will be the right one. No worries about second guessing and no regrets on getting the cancer OUT!
The blog was such a fantasitic thing to do - this journal will be of great value to many for a long time.

CU Tomorrow!

Eagle Feather

Anonymous said...

Sherri Jo,
Thanks for taking time for this Friday posting before heading off for what I hope is a wonderful vacation. You are an inspiration and your generosity in sharing this journey is amazing. I know you will find the best way through all this and we are right here with you!
Love,
Teresa

Anonymous said...

sj
Glad you found the path again. Losing it at times is only human, especially when bombarded with so much information. At those times, don't forget to take a moment, a breath, and give yourself a chance to find it again. It's unanimous that you'll make the right decision.

Have fun in the hills, and beware of the dreaded dry crusty nose!

Jeff