Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Anxiety and Indecision

Wednesday is the MRI and then a visit with the doctor. I am anxious to get the results of the PET Scan so that we can begin ruling out the thought of any metastases. I am also anxious to get my hands on the path report from the biopsy and to begin making a plan of attack.

I've been reading a lot of books and talking to a lot of survivors. I am uncertain at this point which procedure would be best for me: lumpectomy or mastectomy with reconstruction. Both have their pros and cons.

The lumpectomy is a smaller surgery and leaves me with my natural breast. It also leaves me with a nice scar and maybe a dent that will probably be visible much of the time due to it's location on my chest. It also means a course of radiation which can cause scar tissue to develop in the breast and leave you asymmetrical. Not to mention the fatigue factor and the burning of your skin.

The mastectomy is a bigger surgery but eliminates radiation and the visible scar. The reconstructed breast (which may require additional surgery) won't have much feeling in it, but it will have a nice shape. The whole idea of constructing a nipple is a little weird, but it can be done with fairly decent cosmetic results. There is also a procedure known as a nipple sparing mastectomy that leaves the nipple in place, but it is more controversial.

I guess I don't really have enough information to make a decision yet. I'm hoping tomorrow will give me a few answers. I also think I will have a consultation with a plastic surgeon to see if he can offer any alternatives. I wish the lump was in a less prominent position. I would just go with the lumpectomy and be done with it.

No comments: