Friday, March 14, 2008

Sedatives are Good

Oh good grief! The PET CT was a piece of cake. They insisted that I take a valium - not for anxiety but because it relaxes the muscles in the chest wall... and something to do with "brown fat"? - whatever that is. Anyway, I took it and I'm glad.

After they injected me with the radioactive "dye" (I know it's not really dye) I had to wait TWO hours before they could do the scan. I got to sit in a private room in a big recliner and it was fine. The valium kicked in quickly so reading was out of the question. I put on my ipod and blasted the Phantom of the Opera and then later some Joni Mitchell. I decided that Joni Mitchell and valium go together nicely!

I snoozed off and on for the whole two hours which I realize makes me a pretty cheap date. I only had 5 mgs of valium and I felt pretty loopy. It kind of surprised me that no one even checked on me once in those two hours. Not that I needed anything... but still.

I was happy to see that the scanner is nothing like the MRI machine. The tube is not long enough to hold your entire body, so some portion of you is always sticking out. No claustrophobic feelings at all. I guess the valium really did help cause I fell asleep in the machine after about 10 minutes!!! It was very peaceful and quiet in there and they covered me up with a heated blanket. I slept like a baby through the whole thing. Time passes pretty quickly when you're snoozing!

So... one scan down and one more to go next week. I think I'll ask them for a valium :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad the PET scan went well. I told you sedatives are A-OK!! You go, girl!! I have slept through CT scans and MRI's when that sedative kicks in!! What scan do you have next week? Tim and I have really been thinking about you, and I have been praying like crazy for you. I get the all-clear (hopefully) in about a month, on a lump I found about three months ago. Are you still planning to go skiing for spring break? Don't you kinda feel like getting in there and getting the surgery over with? We must talk soon and let me know if you need anything! Love, Cathy

jojo said...

MRI is next Weds. It will be much shorter. And yes - I am going skiing! May not do a lot of skiing but the company and the scenary will be refreshing. My doctor is on vacation the same week so there was no way to schedule surgery before then. I'm hoping for the 2nd week of April.

Anonymous said...

Cheap Date?

dcm

jojo said...

Cheap date - meaning it takes vey little to get me high or drunk!

Anonymous said...

So, now you know the ticket--a little encouragement and that loopy feeling lets you slide right through the procedure. I've been thinking of you all weekend, knowing that sometimes the weekend days are the longest. Say, from my ski days, seems to me that the ski bar was the best place to take in all the action, and the sedatives weren't bad either! With practice behind you, the MRI will go well. I'm sending good vibes to all the techs and doctors who will be reading the data; they need to be at their best for this very important person! Island Girl in cold Chicago.

jojo said...

Actually, some of my best ski trip memories are sitting in the bar with a good book and a hot toddy while snow falls outside. Most of my friends are the last ones off the slope and I am usually the first one in the bar!

The weekend was long... but fortunately Eli helps me to fill the time.