Tuesday, March 11, 2008

One At A Time

I do feel better today. I think I was on information overload yesterday. I read too many web pages, looked at too many books, too many photos. Thanks to my staff for providing hugs and distraction when I couldn't stop the tears from forming. I realized there is a balance between gathering necessary information and scaring yourself with every possible bad outcome or side effect. In some ways, I just have to deal with things as they come instead of worrying about every eventuality. I need to remember that I can only do this one step at a time.

So... PET CT scan is this Friday. Spent some time talking to my dear friend, Sean, who started as a PET scan technologist many years ago and now oversees radiation compliance for the entire hospital (or something like that - in other words VERY experienced.) He gave me some tips to get better results and to avoid the possibility of false positives on the scan. Who needs any unnecessary scares at this point, right? I am a little anxious about my claustrophobia kicking in, but I've had an MRI before and I was able to control it then. I have to remember not to clench my fists, which I have a tendency to do when I am anxious. I could take a little sedative, but somehow, being in full control seems better. I'll post the full experience after it's done.

Thank you, Sean, for taking the time to talk me through it all and to remind me that a scar is a small price to pay for being cancer free.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

SJ,
Remember the big picture; life, wife, mother. Don't get bogged down reading too much crap on the internet. This has invaded a small but delicate and dear part of your body but don't let it consume your mind. I can't imagine how difficult it must be but try to live life to its fullest and maintain a positive attitude. Do the things that make you happiest. Go skiing!

Nic

Anonymous said...

Sherri Jo,

I just now got your site from Dan. Have been thinking about and praying for you every day since March 4. I know what a strong woman you are--you are going to beat this thing! And absolutely--do not read the stuff on the internet. I am convinced it is meant to scare the hell out of everyone. As my GP always says:''DOn't get on the internet. It is generally only information without knowledge, and information without knowledge is only information." And, it's only a boob--like you said, you can get newer and perkier ones! Listen to the DR.--go skiing! Love, Cathy

Anonymous said...

Yeah, go skiing!!!! Good luck with the pet scan. And what's wrong with a little sedative??? Mimi

Anonymous said...

I stongly agree with Mimi--take the sedative--besides, you're not the one in control, the radiologist is, and you won't be knocked out. It sure beats the hell out of getting a bad reading if you are all tightened up. Cathy

jojo said...

Big picture, big picture, big picture, that's definitely my new mantra.

Yeah Cathy! I'm glad you found me. Thanks for writing.

Will give some more thought to the the sedative...

Anonymous said...

Hi Sherri Jo,
So many of us in Baltimore at the meeting you had wanted to attend until the melon war broke out are thinking of you, missing you, and wishing you the very best during the tests tomorrow. You can get through this test with great strength because it will give you the information you need to get on the road to being cancer free--that's the vision and goal we hold for you. So, we raise many glasses to you this evening!
Jean