Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Hate is a Strong Word, but I Really, Really, Really Don't Like the Tube

Biopsy 2 is over. Not toooo bad, but a little freaky. I was lying on my stomach and my boob was compressed in a vise grip so you can’t really move much. My chin and forehead were resting on a foam cushion inches off the table. Some how the sheet got bunched up in front of my face and I couldn't see any light while I was lying in the MRI tube. As I am pretty claustrophobic, this produced a moment of extreme anxiety for me. I felt like I was gonna bust out of there and run far, far away. Every fiber of my being was telling me to get up. It took a lot of effort to keep myself in control for those 10-15 minutes.

After they pulled me out, I had to stay in that position for another 30 minutes or so while the doctor then did the actual biopsy. I had to ask the tech to hold my hand and talk to me for a few minutes so I could calm down and stop trembling. I finally figured out that if we moved the sheet I could see light and that helped me tremendously. All in all, it was 4 trips into that tube that I don't like.

I hate that I am so claustrophobic; I have tried hard to overcome it. I have more control over it as I get older, but sometimes it simply overwhelms me. One of the most important things I learned today it that it’s important to ask for help when you need it. The tech was more than happy to hold my hand and talk and it went a long way towards calming me down (that and the valium was probably starting to kick in!)

I am pretty sore, but so far no hematoma. Looks like I will avoid that nuisance this go around. Thank goodness.

Hope I’m not making every procedure sound like a nightmare… they really aren’t that bad. Just annoying. We expect results on Monday. Friday if we are lucky.

Gonna take another valium and go to bed. One more notch on my procedure tally.

No comments: