Sunday, April 6, 2008

More Gratitude

As I read other people’s cancer stories on the web, I have come across a reoccurring theme. A lot of people discuss frustration with their doctor or with the medical system in general. It makes me realize how truly fortunate I am. There have been a few things that have bothered me about the process, but for the most part things have been pretty smooth. The fact that my husband is on faculty at the hospital may have something to do with it (okay – maybe a lot!) but I also think it is a good facility. Waiting room time has been minimal, my results have come quickly, my phone calls have been returned, and my questions have all been answered. I have found all of the staff friendly and helpful. And thank goodness I live in a city where such a facility exists. What if I lived in a small town with the nearest hospital 100 miles away! I can’t imagine the difficulties that would come with such a commute.

Another thing I have in my favor is health insurance! Thank god for health insurance. And because my husband is on the hospital faculty, we probably have better insurance than most. It is easy to see how a diagnosis like mine could be a devastating financial blow for many families. At the beginning of every major procedure, they’ve handed me a piece of paper that says, “It’s possible that your insurance may not cover the cost of this procedure. Please sign here saying you will be responsible for the bill if insurance doesn’t pay. The cost of this test is $3,500.” $3,500 dollars!!! That’s a lot of money – and we are just getting started! So on top of everything else, I’m glad we don’t have to worry about being financially destroyed.

I will say the one thing that upset me was the form that asks you to assure payment of the tests. Not so much because it affects me - but because of all the other people it must affect. This kind of form should not be given to you as you are walking in the door for the procedure. I mean, what are you gonna do? There’s no time to call your insurance company to see if you are covered. (I had been told I was pre-certified but they still gave me the form!) And there’s no time to call your doctor to ask him if this test is absolutely necessary. I feel like people are signing the form under duress. I understand the hospital has to take precautions against the insurance companies, but the test was scheduled for over a week. Couldn’t they have sent me the form days before the procedure? I’m already nervous about the procedure when I arrive at the hospital. The last thing I need to be worrying about at that moment is a huge bill that I can’t afford! I wrote a letter and put it in the suggestion box at the clinic. I hope somebody reads it and takes it to heart.

You know, I didn’t ask for cancer. I don’t want cancer. But since I have it, I consider myself real lucky to have the necessary resources available to fight it. Things could be worse. ALOT worse.

2 comments:

mjr said...

Hello to you, Sherri Jo. I just want to say thanks for even the idea of journaling through this process. I know that you view it as therapeutic for you, but it is also helpful to me for several reasons. I care about you and want you to know that you can count on me. But I also know that you need your privacy and don't need to be smothered by folks constantly asking how you are doing. Even though those kind of inquiries may be genuine, I know that they wear people down after a while. I certainly don't want to contribute to your worries right now. So -- thanks. Thanks, for keeping your friends "in the loop" about what is going on.

jojo said...

And thanks for reading, caring, encouraging.