Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Plan Takes Shape

I visited with my surgeon this morning and after gathering all the facts, I have chosen the option of a lumpectomy. The surgery will be Thursday, April 17th. I was at the hospital from 8:30 this morning until 2:30 this afternoon taking care of all the pre-op details (blood work, chest x-ray, ekg, consent forms, etc.)

The day of surgery will begin with the sentinel node procedure. They will inject a radioactive dye into the mass and then determine which lymph node it drains into first. That node will then be removed and examined. If it shows cancer, they will make a bigger incision and take all the nodes. If it is cancer free they will move on to the lumpectomy. The nodes are one of the best prognosticators of success. I hope they are cancer free.

The lumpectomy means they will remove the tumor and some of the surrounding tissue. It will leave me with a pretty big scar that I am still unhappy about :( - but it seems like the lesser of all the other "evils" to me. I will grow to embrace the scar... but it will take some time. I actually made the surgeon draw the incision lines on my breast with an ink pen so that I can begin to picture what it will be like. He was reluctant... but he did it! Sigh. It is larger than I had hoped... When did I become so vain? I will learn to embrace the scar. I will learn to embrace the scar...

I will stay one night in the hospital. Recovery should be fairly short. The Dr. says I will be able to drive within 3-4 days! I forgot to ask him what he thinks about me going to Seattle two weeks post surgery! Do you think that's crazy?

Looks like chemo will begin about 3-4 weeks post surgery. Then radiation after that. My goal is to have all treatment complete by Christmas. I think that is a reasonable goal.

It feels good to finally have the decision made and the date set. Onward!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hoping for the best possible outcome on lymphoscintigraphy result! Massaging after subcutaneous injections is necessary so warm those mitts!

der riggin

Anonymous said...

Wow. Me too. Let me know if B. Head needs any company Thursday. I'll be around if needed. I'll be around the next few days too, so let me know if there's anything....

dcm