Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Talking to Eli

For some reason, I blurted out the information about chemotherapy to Eli last night. His reaction was not one of fear - though his eyes got pretty big when I told him I would lose all of my hair. He simply said, "Mom - there is no reason to be embarrassed about losing your hair. If anybody makes fun of you, you tell them, 'Look, people, I'm taking medicine for cancer and it made my hair fall out. So just deal with it!' Really, Mom. You don't have to be embarrassed."

When I told him I was more worried about throwing up than losing my hair, his reply was simple. "We will feed you saltine crackers and sprite."

I think I'm going to be in good hands:)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sherri Jo,

Aren't you glad you have that conversation out of the way?! And what a little sweetie Eli is! He is obviously a very wise child for his years! Although I bet he is older than I remember. Kids can handle a lot. They sometimes fear uncertainty and knowing something is going on that they are not privey to more than what is actually going on. But you are handling it the right way...he doesn't need to know everything, and you know best what he can handle. It was obviously perfect timing, because look at the reassurance he provided for you when you needed it!!

Hang in there! Cathy

Anonymous said...

Eli stands before you......reflecting your strength and courage. If you listen closely, I'm sure that you will hear all of the things that you have used through the years to help him overcome his challenges. You have taught him well.......he will be an awesome allie in this fight.

Keep writing and inspiring us all....but remember....we are here....just let us know if there is a need.

Tell all hello and you are in our thoughts.

Monica K.

Anonymous said...

So sorry I haven't left you any words of encouragement, but we are busy putting in those tomatoes.(They may not cure cancer, but garden tomatoes, still warm from the summer sun sure go a ways to improving the spirit) This is not a time to be shy about asking for help! If your family needs feeding or entertaining so you can rest, you know where to send them. If you need anything...please do not think it is an imposition to ask!
We'll call soon.

jojo said...

Isn't my boy sweet? Maybe we have done a few things right, afterall.

Garden goddess - the best thing you can do for me right now is plant those tomatoes!!!!! I figure the chemo days are when we will need the most help. I am banking everyone's offers for later. Love to you all.

Anonymous said...

Who says God doesn't talk directly to us. It is just that sometimes he doesn't use his voice, he uses the voices of those we love the most.
God Bless
Brad H