Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Counting Down

Only one more day before the big surgery. I am a bundle of anxiety. I have had too long to think about this surgery; I’m just ready to get it over!

I met with the breast surgeon one last time – not the plastic surgeon – but the oncology surgeon that performs the actually mastectomy. Yes – I have two doctors for this surgery. The oncology surgeon removes all the breast tissue and the plastic surgeon takes over to perform the reconstruction part.

I am using a different oncology surgeon than the one that performed my lumpectomy. I have chosen Dr. Susan Klimberg because she is the only surgeon in town (that I can find) that performs a nipple sparing mastectomy. If you are uncomfortable reading about my nipples – then please skip the next paragraph!

I have chosen to have a nipple sparing mastectomy. This means they will leave my nipples in place. They won’t have any sensation, but I think it will make me feel more natural when all is said and done. There are risks, however. Sometimes, the surgeon can remove just a little too much tissue and the blood flow to the nipple is compromised. If the blood flow is compromised, the nipple could die and then it would have to be removed. That would mean another surgery- yikes! And because I’ve had a lumpectomy and there is a nice scar across my chest, there is a chance that blood flow to my left nipple is already compromised. So it is a little risky for me. But Dr. Klimberg says you can’t hit a home run if you don’t step up to the plate, so I am willing to take the risk.

I have started a course of 3 different antibiotics and a regimen of vitamins prescribed by the doctor. She wants me to take 10,000 iu of A, 1,000 iu of C, and 220 iu of zinc – That’s a butt load of zinc!!! Wish I had started the vitamins earlier, but at least I’ve got them now. Infection is probably my worst enemy in this whole process. NO INFECTION ALLOWED!

I asked the doctor if I would be ready to go back to work in two weeks since I have a desk job. She smiled and shook her head. “No darling, don’t you dare go back to work after two weeks.” You give yourself a month off.” So we shall see… Four weeks seems like such a long time.

I wish I could just skip tomorrow and go straight to surgery. The anxiety is kinda wearing me out. But I have a busy day at work and it will be a decent distraction.

Keep sending those good thoughts and prayers.

7 comments:

Tabitha and Kelly said...

sending lots of prayers your way!! hugs! Tabitha

Sue said...

Wishing you all the best as this goes forward. May you be at peace with this significant event in your recovery process, and may your surgeons have wisdom and skill and compassion.

I'll be waiting to hear from you on the other side.

hugs, swan

Anonymous said...

Hang in there SJ! We're pulling for ya!
Love & healing,
TJ

Anonymous said...

Sending lots of well wishes your way. Monica

PS....your courage and strength remain an inspiration to all!!!!!

mjr said...

More thoughts and prayers --- all the best tomorrow and in the weeks to come.
Martha

Jo-Jo said...

I, too, used a different oncology surgeon for my mastectomy than the one who performed my lumpectomy. I, too, had reconstruction at the same time as my mastectomy. My plastic surgeon 'created' a nipple for me from skin on my side. It's a long road, but you WILL get through this - pray for strength. Best wishes and strong hugs, Jo-Jo

Cailin said...

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and sending positive vibes your way. I really hope it all goes without a hitch - you've been through so much already. Let us know how it goes! Big hugs from Wisconsin.