Sunday, January 18, 2009

Eli

My most tender spot in this whole cancer process has been my son, Eli. I cannot bear to think of my sweet boy losing his mother. I think losing your mother at an early age is one of the worst things that can happen to a person and I would never want to fail Eli in that way. I may not be the absolute best mother in the world , but I am a pretty good one… and I am his.

The day before my surgery, I took him to my mom’s house to spend the night. When it came time for me to leave, we hugged and he began to cry – it’s the first time he has shown such emotion about my illness. I had been strong all day but when Eli started to cry and say he was scared of losing me – I started to cry too. I can’t stand the idea of him being frightened or hurt. I wish I had been a little stronger as I’m sure my own tears were not very assuring to him. But we both pulled it together and I assured him that I would be okay. We would get through this surgery just like we had gotten through everything else. Whoa – that was a tough moment. I cried all the way home.

I have tried to keep Eli’s teacher at school informed of my progress. I figure it helps if she knows about any stresses we are experiencing. She acknowledged that Eli worries about me and took a simple action to help him with his anxiety. A day or two after I returned home from the hospital, she asked each of his classmates to make a get well card for me! It was a wonderful way to help Eli to deal with his anxiety and get a little support from his friends. Bringing home the cards really helped him feel like he was contributing to my recovery. This project was a fabulous gesture by his teacher; some adults just get it. Here they all are:



The cards were adorable and a real treat. Here are a few of my favorites:











What fun! Thank you to Eli, his teacher, Ms. Smith, and all of his classmates. The cards made me feel great!



4 comments:

Sue said...

Good for Mrs. Smith! As a teacher, I can tell you that kids do worry, and it is sometimes very hard to know how far we ought to go in trying to "hold them up" from our end. It is good that you are keeping your son's teacher "in the know," and it looks to me like she is standing with him and with you in perfect balance.

Best wishes as you recover -- for you and all who love you.

swan

Anonymous said...

How neat. I agree.. YOU ROCK Sherri Jo!
Tracy

Anonymous said...

Hey Sherry Jo! I just spent about 30 minutes catching up on your goings on. Jack pretty much keeps me informed of the major stuff, but it's been a while since I read the blog. Hope all is well with you, and let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Ditch Dog

Anonymous said...

That Eli is an excellent reflection of what an amazing person you are. He obviously has a Great teacher as well as a great mom!
Love and good wishes,
Susan LMSA