Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Notes On Healing

I would say the healing process is going well so far. I am quite sore and have a very limited range of motion, but I feel good. The drains are a real pain and they are WAY bigger than anything I ever expected; think juice box on steroids. I’m not exaggerating! The doctor was optimistic that the drains will be removed on Thursday when I see him; I sure hope he’s right.

Sitting up from a reclining position is one of the most difficult movements for me. At one point, I found myself lying flat on my back and could not get up! I laid there with my arms and legs up in the air wiggling like a dying cockroach until Ben helped me up! Geez! It goes without saying that I am much more comfortable sitting upright than reclining or lying down. This fact makes sleeping a bit difficult. I can only sleep an hour or so at a time without having to painfully sit up and readjust my body. But it’s okay because I don’t have to be anywhere nor does anybody expect anything of me right now:) I can nap as often as I need.

I slept in late this morning and then my mother-in-law came by and helped me to take a bath. I haven't had anyone help me with a bath since I was a child, but it’s hard to bath by yourself when you have drains on steroids! Plus, I can’t reach all areas of my body due to my limited range of motion. My mother-in-law is a retired nurse so she was good at helping me with this task. It felt great to wash all the hospital gunk off my body and get a fresh start.

After getting clean, I ate a little lunch and took all of my meds. Unfortunately, I went a little overboard and took too many pills at one time. I took 2 antibiotics, 3 vitamins and a pain pill. I should know better. (Shaking head.) About 15 minutes later I lost all of my lunch. Eeowww… it is NOT fun to throw up when you have a tender, sore chest. (Note to self – DO NOT DO THIS AGAIN!!) It took me a couple of hours to recover from this little mishap, but rest assured I will not repeat that mistake. I may lay off the vitamins until the antibiotics are complete. Eck!

And I have to say, the breasts look way better than I imagined they would at this stage. As I stated previously, I can see the potential for good things to happen and I am very thankful I have such great doctors. I think I wasted a lot of energy worrying about the cosmetic outcome. I still have a long way to go, and there is still a possibility of complications, but I am feeling very optimistic about the final result. It’s gonna be okay.

Yep, it's all gonna be okay.

2 comments:

Tabitha and Kelly said...

I'm so glad that it's all going to be okay and that you have a such a positive outlook. Good for you! Keep on keeping on!

Anonymous said...

Yes, it is all going to be ok.

Cathy